Guinea Expedition 2011/12
When we look back on the specific goals we had set for Guinea Expedition 2011/12, we find we have accomplished those goals and taken our work in Guinea even further than we expected. Here is some of our progress:
- We expanded the number of poor and orphaned children in our educational program and strengthened our relationships with the schools that our children are placed in.
- We expanded the number of students and staff in The Woontanara Aid Sewing School.
- We added classes in new techniques to our Sewing School.
- We began construction of a Center for our Sewing School. This is a work in progress and we are still building today!
- We launched a new program, Program Aide Handicapées (P.A.H.) that invites people with disabilities from all over Conakry to come and use our sewing facility so that they may make and sell their wares, providing them an opportunity to make a living for themselves.
- We saved the leg (and possibly the life) of Petit Allaye by arranging and funding his surgery and ongoing medical treatment.
- We researched future possibilities including permaculture projects such as bringing clean water and gardens to people in need.
- We obtained official government agreements that will allow us to better succeed in our projects in Guinea.
- We assisted and created partnerships with other non-governmental agencies that work with orphaned children and people with disabilities.
- We provided job training and job start-up for people in various communities.
Please read “Raising the Roof” (below) for a deeper look at Guinea Expedition 2011/12. Read Raising the roof via PDF →
Thank you to all the sponsors, donors and volunteers who helped make Guinea Expedition 2011/12 possible.
We have an anonymous benefactor for the 2011-12 Guinea Expedition!
Thank you for your kind donation.
Mahogany Ridge Craftsman
Woontanara West African Dance and Drum
Barrels and Bins Community Market
Lily Pad Creative
Bonnie Krafchuk, Energy Heals, The Apparels of Pauline, Photography by the Tetons and Beyond, Isabel Waddell Agency, The Hole Hiking Experience, Teton Timberframe, Holiday Propane, Dining In Catering, Snow King Resort, Susan Zajac, Janet Woodland, Erica Burns and Natalie Clark & Henry Armour
U.S. Volunteers on Guinea Expedition:
Kelly Hopkins and Reed Sullivan
Michelle McCormick, Reed Sullivan, Kelly Hopkins, Ralph Mossman, Sue O'Connor, Danny Haworth, Bev Palm and Paul Grikstas